Title: “L.I.P.Y.” (#1, #2, #3, and #4)
Encaustic Mixed Media on cradled wood panels (encaustic, oil, watercolor, pigment ink, silk, Japanese paper, pure silver/gold leaf), 61cm x 61cm x 2.5cm (24x24x1 inch) as quadriptych / each panel 305 x305 x 25mm (12x12x1inch). *The Layout of four panels is changeable; You can display each piece individually vertically or horizontally, display as diptych of top or bottom two pieces and so forth.
Response to the “In the Details”
Stars in the sky: Some stars are possible to see and others cannot be seen by our eyes. But stars exist in the natural world, and scientists and professionals continually research the details and patterns. Yet, there is still something beyond human knowledge or understanding.
I reflect and explore this mystery with a conceptual and psychological approach. My art includes layers of memories, thoughts, dreams, paths, illusions, and disillusions. I also layer timeless Bible verses and modern computer-programming languages (codes: Python, C-language) that are astronomical calculation algorithms, which correlate with the stars, desert, universe/planets, and our lives.
If you look closely, in art and life, the details and patterns may emerge. However, sometimes, “L‘essentiel est Invisible pour les Yeux” (= What is essential is invisible to the eye 〜大切なものは目に見えない〜 ).
Misako Oba was born and raised in Japan. Oba’s artworks have been exhibited at international galleries and art fairs in France, Belgium, Germany, Japan, and the United States. Her creations have also been in private, corporate, public, and national collections. Her professional repertoire has evolved and expanded from photography to mixed-media painting, which incorporates text, encaustic, oil, and Japanese paper in compositions relevant to each series’ concept. Oba enjoys artist talks/lectures and has presented to MFA students, professors, and the general public internationally.
Interviewed by Lori Ono: Misako Oba’s Art and Life.
- 2017 Resident fellow: Invited as a visual artist for Brush Creek Foundation of the Arts Artist-in-Residence/August. (USA)
- 2015 “FAUSTUS” was selected for the annual collection for the museum Maison Européenne de la Photographie, Paris. (France)
- 2011 First Prize in The Pollux Awards, The Worldwide Photography Gala Awards. (Worldwide/ Headquarters, UK)
- 2010 Resident fellow: Selected as a visual artist for P.A.A. Artist-in-Residence in Pennsylvania. (USA)
- 2007 Merit Award for two portfolios: El Camino series and Journey of Life & Light series in B&W Magazine for Collectors of Fine Photography. Published in a collector’s special issue. (USA)
- 2005 Blue Fire Flies series was selected for Salon d’Automne, Paris. Catalog published. (France)
- 2005 National permanent collection: El Camino series and Journey of Life & Light series at Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Paris. (France)
- 2000 First Prize (Grand Prix in all categories) in the International Professional Photo Fair Contest. cash/travel/exhibition award. (Japan)
Exhibition History, Press Articles, and Reviews: Please visit the website.